Thursday 5 March 2015

World Book Day is finally here!

'You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.'
-Dr Seuss 

World Book Day has finally arrived. The internet is full of pictures of all the children in their costumes. I took my children to school this morning and it was a wonderful sight, seeing all of their classmates dressed up as their favorite characters. If I was allowed I would of taken pictures of them all, it was such a fantastic thing to see.

Now I love reading, have from a young age. Books just take you into a totally different world. Anything is possible inside a book. You can experience so many different things without even leaving your own home, all from just opening a book.

Anything that encourages children to read is a great thing to me. From birth, books have been a huge part of my children's lives. I want them to have a passion for reading just as I have. My son is now 9 and he loves to read, has done for years. My daughter is 5 and still learning to read but always enjoys story time when she is tucked up in bed. 

Parents I advise you to seriously make books a part of your child's life. It will educate them and also help with their imagination. Allow them to travel to many different places just through the pages of a good book.

This year I was totally lazy when it came to costumes, well for my daughter anyway. Both children had chosen Roald Dahl characters (love, love, love Roald Dahl). My son had recently finished reading, 'Danny the Champion of the World', so he decided that's what he was going to be (I will add photos at the end). Thankfully this was an easy costume, all I needed was an all red jumper, jeans and brown shoes. Sorted! I decided to add a badge saying, 'Champion of the World' to give other children a clue to who he was. 

Now my daughter wanted to be Mrs Twit but I felt it was too much effort so I told her she had to be Snow White. She was so upset but in the end finally agreed. I put her to bed last night and the guilt just hit me. I had to come up with a Mrs Twit outfit. So myself and my son set to work to come up with a costume. I was pretty pleased with the end result and when my daughter woke up this morning, she was over the moon I had created the costume. It was so worth the hassle. 

What did your children dress up as? 

I love seeing all the different characters. Now a little peace until next year! 









No comments:

Post a Comment