Monday 2 January 2017

No Spend Month Challenge.

Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.
- Benjamin Franklin

I recently read about this no spend challenge, I'd heard about it briefly in the past but didn't know much about it. In all honesty I thought they literally meant no spending and simply begging or bartering your way through the month. Obviously I was wrong! 😂 It wasn't that bad.

So the no spend challenge is no spending EXCEPT your regular bills and your basic groceries. That's all you are allowed to spend money on. 

ALLOWED EXAMPLES
  • Rent
  • Gas
  • Electric
  • Council Tax
  • Phone bill
  • Any regular bills...
  • Basic food shop
NOT ALLOWED EXAMPLES
  • Takeaways
  • Drinking
  • Cinema
  • Clothes shopping
  • Fizzy drinks
  • New electronics 
Now I'm sure the rules slightly change for some people depending on how they think. I mentioned this challenge in a money saving group (that name should be used loosely) and many people were either completely in denial or just have different views on what a necessity is. Some believe a bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate would be a necessity, I personally see that as a luxury and to be totally honest you won't save much if you keep purchasing your booze over the month. Oh and others kept commenting that they live this way all the time but pictures say otherwise. (For the record I have no issue with people treating themselves and enjoying luxuries but it's an insult to a persons intelligence if somebody lies about it.)

So this no spend month isn't meant to be fun in the traditional sense, it's a challenge, it will have tough times. But it seems to be a good idea to give your savings that bit of a boost.

I'm guessing I'm not alone when I say I have zero savings. I'm ashamed to admit that at age 27, but it's the truth. I don't have any savings and for some reason this is now starting to concern me more than it used to. I mean what if something goes wrong and I am unable to pay my rent one month, I have literally nothing to fall back on and with 3 children I think it's about time I tried to change this. 

Now I know this is a short post but it was really just to give a brief idea of what the challenge is. I have started this challenge myself and I have started a post on it but I plan on finishing that over the course of this month and then you will get a decent idea of how I coped and what I managed to save.

Fancy joining me for this challenge? If so I'd love to hear how people get on and also any tips your might have to help. Either leave a comment, message me or post on my Facebook 'like' page. 

Giddy up horsey! Onwards to our savings boost!


Watch this space! 😎

Check me out on Instagram and Facebook! :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment