Saturday 5 March 2016

We Got Engaged!!

'Remember tonight, for it's the beginning of forever'
- Dante Alighieri

My Little Sister, Rebecca.

Me, the night I met Alex.


I met my now fiance 3 years ago. I was at a ladies night in Stockport. I entered the room and it was full of over 100 excited women and a handful of topless waiters. Now places like this aren't usually my scene but I was helping out with a stall there. Long story short I enjoyed a few drinks with my sister and got chatting to one of the topless waiters, Alex.

(In their defence they were topless waiters as a one off raising money for charity)

One of the waiters having a little too much fun! Haha

The evening was going great and we sat talking for ages, he was a lovely guy and very handsome. I thought this is going great, I think he likes me. The end of the night came and he still hadn't asked for my phone number! I slowly walked out with him, I tried my best to stall hoping it would give him chance to ask for my number and he didn't. We said goodbye and parted. He was staying in the hotel and I was waiting in the reception to go home.
I was gutted! I really thought he liked me, why didn't he ask for my number? 
My sister saw how upset I was and she noticed he had written his details down on a competition the stall I was on was doing. So she gave me his number and told me to text him.

'Hey this is Charlotte, here's my number if you want it.' 

The next minute he comes walking briskly into reception. We spent about 2 hours chatting in reception before I thought I best leave. He walked us to the taxi and gave me a kiss on the cheek. 
Sounds like it worked out right? Well turns out he lived in Ipswich! Over a 4 hour drive from me in Manchester. How do I manage to find an amazing guy not far from home and then it turns out he lives in Ipswich! 
So the odds were against us, no way it was going to work, all you ever here is that long distance relationships completely fail. 

The next morning I woke up to a text message from him, and that was it, we haven't looked back. We didn't go a day without speaking and took turns in visiting each other. 
3 years on and we have a son together but are still in a long distance relationship. How we have kept it up I have no idea. The career he has has made it quite difficult for him to come up here but thankfully he can apply for transfer next year!

Because of his job and the distance, we were unable to celebrate Valentine's Day this year, so we agreed to celebrate on the 26th February. 

Us at the James Martin Restaurant, Manchester

He planned a wonderful evening, we were visiting the James Martin Restaurant in Manchester and then off to Cloud 23 in the Hilton for a few cocktails. Sounded like the perfect evening and to be honest a tiny, tiny part of me thought, 'this is a bit fancy for us, I wonder if he is going to propose?'

Us at Cloud 23 in the Hilton, Manchester


The evening went amazing, Alex looked very handsome, the food was gorgeous and the view from the Hilton was beautiful. There were so many opportunities for a guy to propose and it would of been perfect! The conversation flowed as well as a couple of cocktails. Then our evening finished and it was time to go home to our baby boy. 
No ring on my finger. It wasn't happening. But I knew, only a tiny part of me thought maybe he will? 

It didn't ruin the night though, I still enjoyed every minute with him, as I always do and it was a wonderful, rare, date night. 
We arrived home, changed out of our clothes and into pajamas and I climbed into bed with my son for cuddles. 

Our son, baby Joseph


The next minute Alex wanders into the room in his topless waiter outfit from 3 years ago. I couldn't stop laughing, it brought back great memories and I never thought I'd see him in it again. What a perfect way to top the evening off. 
Time to exchange Valentines presents. We agreed cheesy, lovey, dovey things for Valentines as we always do. So I gave him a few little bits and a card. 

My gift to Alex, I guess you could say it's our song.

His turn.

He handed me a beautiful bouquet of red roses, a lovely Valentine's card (all while still wearing his topless waiter outfit) and then got down on one knee! 

I thought my face was going to break I was smiling so much. I couldn't believe the love of my life was down on one knee. The odds were against us from the beginning and here he was about to ask me to marry him.

He told me he loved me and that he misses me whenever we are apart and would I marry him?

Of course I said yes!! My very own topless waiter asking me to spend the rest of my life with him! How could I refuse. I couldn't stop smiling or kissing him, I was so happy. Everything I ever wanted.

Two people from other ends of the country beating the odds of a long distance relationship and the very odd meeting at a ladies night, finally engaged and looking forward to our future together and hopefully no longer long distance! 

Me, Alex and my youngest son.


I thought I knew what love was before I met him but oh how wrong I was. I have finally met the 'one', my soul mate, my best friend and the most amazing father. I knew from day one I wanted to marry him, I no longer cared about the big wedding, the fancy ring, the presents. All I knew was I would marry this man with string on my finger, in jeans and a t -shirt so long as it meant I would be his

So the ring is a huge bonus! ;)

My Engagement Ring


All of us! Me, Alex, Joseph, Joshua and Katelyn. My beautiful family! 





No comments:

Post a Comment